[C320-list] Batteries

Bruce Hunter swampcreek42 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 1 07:51:29 PDT 2017

I know there's been recent posts on this subject but let here is some information that might be valuable.When we bought our boat in 2012 we soon had to replace Battery #1, the next year we found battery #2 emitting a sulfer smell and it was HOT, we immediately got it off the boat and replaced it.When I replaced the batteries I looked around and saw the crazy prices WM wanted and then found Deka 4D batteries (same battery as WM, different sticker) for $230 at the East Penn warehouse in Rosedale MD. Last week after an all day sail I went to start the engine and nothing. We switched to battery #2 and she started. I figured 5 years on a battery is nothing to complain about, I'll just change it out.Since East Penn is near my work I planned to simply buy another there. Just for kicks I looked up 4D batteries and found Pasco Battery Warehouse in Annapolis had Deka 4D batteries for $160! I wondered if battery prices had dropped since I remember paying so much more directly from the distributor. When I went to East Penn after work they wanted $236! I told them I could get the same battery in Annapolis for almost $80 less! There was nothing they could (or would) do. So off to Annapolis I went. Pasco Battery Warehouse was great, they unload and load the battery out of your truck, they're friendly and knowledgeable. I still can't figure out how the manufacturer's own warehouse charges so much more but Annapolis is only 13 miles from me so no big deal. BTW Pasco has many stores spread out in this region.NOTE: When replacing Battery #1 there was water in the tray, after getting it up in the truck bed we found a small leak on its side by the rope handle, it had to of happened right before replacement since the water levels weren't that low so I have no idea what caused that. I figured #2 was a year younger and probably ok but replaced it as well. I siliconed the leak on #1 and returned it for the $36 core charge and gave #2 to my neighbor who wanted it for his camper.
Bruce HunterNauti Time #719