[C320-list] Bilge Pump Makers? Comments? Experiences?

Stephen Cox scox at timmin.com
Mon Jul 3 05:06:00 PDT 2017

> Stephen,
> I'm interested in using a relay connection to run my primary
> pump off my alarm float switch per your design. Where did you
> get your relay?

The latching relay I used can be found on eBay. See:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Passive-Bistable-Latching-DPDT-8-Amp-Power-Relay-
Module-12V-Version-RT424F12-/201209912982?hash=item2ed90b9e96

It has the advantage that it stays thrown in whichever position after you
cut the power.  It is driven by taking the S1 or R1 points to ground. Note
that I do not drive the pump directly from this latching relay but rather
used it to drive a more robust 30 amp automotive type relay to switch in the
pump power.  Such relays are cheap and can take the starting currents
easily.

The high level / low level float switches were normally open / normally
closed respectively and these were used to control the set (S1) and reset
(R1) pulses accordingly utilising one set of the switched terminals on the
latching relay.  I used:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Liquid-Float-Switch-Water-Level-Sensor-Double-Bal
l-100-250mm-for-Fish-Tank-Pool-/112445356670?var=&hash=item1a2e43fa7e:m:mqJ1
HbYz7d1gifevbiwlmMQ

To can change a particular float switch from normally open to normally
closed or vice versa by inverting the float on the rod that controls the
switch you are interested in.

> Good idea about having a hot spare auto sensing pump. Do you
> have the part number for the primary Johnson pump?

My day to day pump is Rule 1100GPH. See:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|2234226|2234227&id=3798501

And my backup "oh dear" pump is a Johnston L2200.  See:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|2234226|2234229&id=2097133

Hope this helps,

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141