[C320-list] Replacing Salon Windows

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 08:51:09 PDT 2017

I need/want to replace the 4 elongate side salon windows in my '94 320.  One is leaking fairly significantly (onto my Nav Station), all have cracks around the original mount screw holes, and all are pretty scratched/hazed.

I have gotten a quote from Catalina Yachts for $125 per new lens ($500 total set).   Sailboatowners.com also will provide a set for $515 ($590 - $75 quoted discount) http://shop.catalinaowners.com/prod.php?52002/Catalina+Recessed+Window+Replacements

I had previously purchased a Bomar hatch replacement lens through EBay (from Cesany Plastics Inc. in Florida; 954/568-2002) that was perfect and the least expensive source.  Cesany Plastics just quoted me $75 per replacement lens (so about $300 plus shipping for a set) which I plan to pursue. I expect this to be a very rapid turnaround (desired) compared to at least 3 weeks from Catalina.

Catalina does not have templates for my windows (boat built in California).  They want the actual old lenses or tracings to make replacements.  Since my boat is outside, I obviously don't want to remove and send the lenses away to get replacements. So, making tracings will be the way I approach getting new lenses.

All the information I have found say that the lenses are 1/4" thick.  However, in pushing from inside on the lenses, the acrylic seems thinner to me.  Can anyone with an older hull confirm the 1/4" lens thickness?

The lenses need to be beveled (or angled) on the inside edges to fit down into the window opening recesses.  Does anyone have experience with what I would need to communicate to a fabricator for the bevel/angle?  A guide from Catalina that I found (forget where exactly) suggests an approximate  45 degree angle rather than a rounded bevel on each inside edge.

Thanks,
Dave Hupe
1994 Cat 320 (Hull #32)
Holland, MI