[C320-list] Stalling Engine

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Wed Jul 12 07:36:38 PDT 2017

OK, Here are some additional considerations for Westerbeke engines that  may
impact start, no start conditions including stalling that I learned from 23
yrs. of ownership experiences with my 95 320 hull #277.
1. Observe how much fuel is in your tank when the stalling condition occurs
because Westerbeke engines will run, but not with the same power level, if
the fuel pump fails as long as there is  enough fuel in the tank  (between
1/2 to 1/4 level) and fuel will  still be fed to the pump/engine by gravity.
Once the tank level is below the gravity feed level, the engine will stall
out and  restart and then stall out while in choppy water. Adding even small
amount of fuel will restart the engine.
2. In addition to the fuel pump power wire coming detached due in part to
the engine vibrations, look the wire connections to the starter. I
discovered that I had an intermittent contact wire on the starter.  I could
hold to that starter wire to get the engine to turnover and start with the
help of someone pushing the start button until I could replace/press on new
ring connector. Be careful when reaching to the starter (practice the move)
when doing that trick because of the fan belt when the engine restarts!
3. Check out your wires to the oil pressure sensor switch located on the
lower left side when facing your engine. The oil pressure sensor switch is
near the oil pan level. Those stiff wires can be prone to break under
repeated vibration over time or when shifted when draining the oil pan and
later causing default condition to not allow the fuel pump to operate. The
default  of  broken oil pressure switch wire or  filed switch, shuts down
the fuel pump  so the engine will not normally run if there is insufficient
oil pressure. However, the Westerbeke engine will run on our 320s if there
is enough fuel in the tank, see item #1 above.    Broken oil sender wire or
even  broken oil switch spade connector on the oil pressure sensor switch
will not cause the engine to stall, but will allow the oil pressure alarm to
intermittently sound if the low pressure signal process components re
working properly. However, if there is  insufficient level of fuel in the
tank, the engine will stall when the fuel pump is not powered due to  no oil
pressure registered if there is  broken oil pressure connection.

Hope this is helpful now, or in the future, for owners of Westerbeke
engines.

Rick Sulewski