[C320-list] Kiwiprop under sail

Gene Helfman genehelfman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 12:01:47 PDT 2017

We had a discussion about this back in Oct 2014 (we are #398, 1997 with a
Yanmar 3GM30F).  It's more a matter of transmission issues than prop, but
obviously which prop you have affects the decision.  Here's a summary of
the "conclusions" from that exchange:

>Often debated, convincing arguments either way, but here is the official
word from Yanmar in the form of their service advisory.

Advisory Number: MSA08-003:

DATE February 8, 2008 Dealers and OEMs
TO: All Marine Distributors
SUBJECT: Gear in Neutral While Sailing All MODELS:

All Sailboat Engines

We continue to get questions regarding the correct gear position while
sailing with the engine OFF. This advisory is issued as a reminder; Yanmar
requires that if sailing with the engine OFF (not running) the transmission
shifter must be in the neutral position or internal damage to the gear or
sail-drive will result. This damage will not be covered by Yanmar’s Limited
Warranty. Please instruct customers and dealers who deliver the sailboat to
the customer, of the correct (Neutral) position for the marine gear while
sailing.

If the customer desires that the propeller shaft not spin while sailing,
either a folding propeller, shaft break, or other suitable device may be
used. However, Yanmar accepts no responsibility for the selection,
installation, or operation of such devices. Please also refer to Marine
service advisory “MSA07-001_Yanmar Sail Drive Propeller Selection” for
additional information.

If you have any questions regarding this advisory please contact a Customer
Support representative.

This advisory does not apply to hydraulic gear boxes or the few models that
used Hurth/ZF.

Fair Winds
Chris Burti
Commitment