[C320-list] Fuel polishing/fuel tank cleaning

Mark Cole boatnboot at q.com
Thu Jun 15 11:54:10 PDT 2017

Greg;

I’m at about the same point of deciding what to do about a contaminated fuel tank.  We bought our 320 last year and I started adding Biobor JR to the diesel tank.  On our first long cruise, the filter on the Racor plugged to the point that the engine wouldn’t start one morning.  Luckily, we were on a state park mooring buoy and changing the filter was pretty simple.  The filter on the Racor did it’s job and no debris made it to the injectors.  The filter that plugged was a 2 micron but I’ve since gone with a 10 micron.

I checked into fuel polishing in the Tacoma area and came up with costs similar to what you mentioned.  Being a hands-on type and put off at the prospect of paying $900 to polish a 20 gallon tank, I’m going to install an access port in my fuel tank and clean the inside myself.  From what Ive read, the polishing process isn’t guaranteed to clean all growth off of the tank walls.  The only way to do that is to get inside the tank and scrub/scrape all surfaces.  My fuel gauge isn’t working now, either, so I’ll address that issue at the same time.  I’ve found two access port options at Fisheries Supply so I just need to cut the hole now and clean the tank.

Mark
Fiddler’s Green, #8