[C320-list] High pitch whining (singing) noise from shaft above 2800

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Mon Jun 19 17:01:26 PDT 2017

Danny,
Several years after purchasing our 320 I cleaned up the two bladed prop with some sandpaper before launch and I had apparently induced harmonic prop whine or singing. After filing a flat edge on each blade the whine ceased.
If you closely inspect a new or refurbished prop you may note a flat edge at the end of each blade (90 degrees flat edge vs. the prop face or blade). I was under the impression when I cleaned the prop that making the leading edges of the prop sharper was desirable.....wrong idea because the sharp edge created the harmonic prop whine!  Now, whenever I replace the cutlass bearing (because I had  to remove the prop at that time) I send the prop into the shop to be trued and balanced. Over several hundred hours of motoring increases the chances of at least one or more blades striking any number of objects that could also contribute to a vibration and even prop whine over time.
Rick Sulewski
95' 320 hull #277