[C320-list] Oven not starting??

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 16:28:55 PDT 2017

Scott-

All the input above is spot on, but if like us you are relatively new to
this contraption then you might benefit from a few additional tidbits.

Unlike your average barbecue grill that has an ignitor that throws a spark
to the main burner these Seaward ovens are much more complex such that you
can't light the burner directly, you have to aim your lighter at the pilot
light and it's thermocouple in order to get the gas to flow and the pilot
lit.  When you do get it lit it is a tiny flame.  Rather than try to
describe what this looks like I would encourage you to read this
troubleshooting guide which has nice pretty pictures and will also be
somewhat useful if there is something wrong with the oven...hopefully not.
http://www.suremarineservice.com/manuals/Stove-Repair.pdf

Once you get the pilot lit you will discover that the temperature control
knob just makes the pilot go from a tiny blue speck to a flame probably
bigger than any lighter I've ever seen on highest setting, but you still
won't see the burner light. It will take almost a minute for the oven to
figure out that the pilot is calling for heat and for the main burner valve
to open and get that satisfying poof you want to hear.

None of this would have been obvious to us, but having looked at the
troubleshooting guide because no one could get the oven to light at survey
I decided to get as smart as possible before tackling the problem.
Fortunately there wasn't anything wrong with the oven and previous attempts
to light it were clearly operator error.   Our oven like others had never
been used before.   It gets a workout now.

Good luck

Troy
S/V Wonky Dog
Hull #514 (new sails have the wrong hull # if you see us out on the Upper
Chesapeake )