[C320-list] Boat monitoring system using home wireless router

Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 28 12:02:46 PDT 2017

FWIW, I do have a wireless DSL router at our place that I can reach from the boat slip.  That is what, to me, makes sense to take advantage of.
We already have security cameras that I can view through the DSL modem.  Mainly to watch the boat from anywhere.  It's a very safe area.  County Sheriff's mother lives next door.  I'm looking for a monitor system "mainly" for the bilge.  They have a fairly cheap water sensor I can setup.  All it needs is AC power, which I have at the dock.
Ideally I want a water sensor (high water type) that can go through our existing wireless DSL router to send emails when we get high water in the bilge.  Early enough to drive 3 hours and address the issue. Best case is a monitor system that I can connect to (or that can contact me) that will give me the counter type information too so I can see trending increase in bilge pumps.  So far it looks like I may have to use a combination of the two.
Simple wish list.
I am looking at (Thanks to Graeme) the Auto GPS devices but they seem to be all cellular.   I am OK with buying occasional prepaid SIM cards (no monthly fee) but they have to be Verizon in that area.  ATT has basically no coverage there.
Still comparing prices, ease of use, reliability, features, etc...
Keep the ideas coming.....Need more homework.  Now adding home monitors to the mix.
Thanks,
Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net H (919)-362-8538     C (919)-618-7185