[C320-list] Anchor swivel Yes or no?

Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 2 06:29:12 PST 2017

I tried to search and found several thoughts on the subject of anchor swivels.
Our boat came with 22 Danforth and about 20 ft of 1/4 chain that is now not usable/rusty.  The second anchor is in better overall condition with 20 ft of 1/4 chain and also has 22 Danforth.
We have had 2 times in strong winds that the anchor didn't hold.  Twice it took 10 attempts and just moved on and found better holding.  NOTE: This was when we first got the boat and the rode was marked incorrectly.  Now (with proper scope) we have not drug since, but....
Reason for email:  Because of a closeout sale I could not resist, I have 30 ft of 3/8 chain now and (so far) plan to keep the same anchors. Bit of overkill I know but I like the added weight.  The question I have is swivel or no swivel.  I am leaning to no swivel for added safety but looking for any thoughts I might be missing?  We have muddy bottoms around here.
NOTE: I know the issue with added chain weight on the bow but I am still assessing those affects.  May stow second anchor aft if becomes an issue...
Pros:1. Avoids twist.2. Maybe help keep dug in???
Cons:1. introduces a week link (I was thinking of going with 1/2" swivel- next size up)
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net H (919)-362-8538    C (919)-618-7185