[C320-list] Anchor Swivel Yes or No

Jeffrey Kapec jkapec at tkdg.com
Thu Mar 2 12:41:32 PST 2017

Hello Scott:

Practical Sailor magazine has performed a number of through and scientific
tests on this subject item.  The general outcome from the test is that the
swivel does not always work as anticipated and it also can be a structural
fail point in that the swivel can fail under load.    A long length of  high
quality hot dipped galvanized high tensile chain coupled to a high quality
certified forged shackle attached to a good anchor design is the best
combination.  It is reliable.  I have a Manson Supreme Anchor. The shackle
options were also tested vigorously by Practical Sailor.

I have never ever dragged in all circumstances  over the past 8 years and
that combination held securely while anchored in an intense squall with
howling winds.

Jeffrey Kapec

Petite Suite Hull 780

---