[C320-list] Follow-up, prop shaft de-coupler tool

Dave Ouimette drouimette at aol.com
Wed Mar 22 08:21:00 PDT 2017

The Association's "US Toolbox"  contains a prop shaft de-coupler tool to press out the shaft from the end coupler. The prop coupler mates with the transmission thus transferring torque to the shaft to spin the prop. Why would you need such a tool? Well, in our case the rubber boot that connects the stuffing box to the stern tube is aging and the bronze stuffing box is somewhat corroded from sea water so it is near time to replace both.  The rubber boot is critical to keeping the boat from sinking so it should be inspected regularly and replaced every few years.

The Association's de-coupler tool appears to be the same one sold by CatalinaDirect and I decided to purchase the tool from them. We own an older C320, hull 174, with a Perkins engine/Hurth transmission and the de-coupler tool description says it will fit a C320 with a Universal or Yanmar engine; it is silent on Perkins. After receiving the tool from CatalinaDirect I separated the prop coupler from the transmission and test fit the de-coupler tool. It works but the space around the prop shaft is small and I found I needed to use a smaller press-out bolt in order to fit in available space. Turns out, Ace Hardware had a large supply of 3/4 inch bolts so it was no problem. Changing the rubber boot and stuffing box requires a haul-out; I plan to do the work then.

Dave
Hull 174