[C320-list] Alternator to batteries

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Sat Mar 25 07:19:30 PDT 2017

Ted

Not sure if this helps but when you turn on the ignition key-switch, power is connected to the alternator field coils, which on my boat is a thick purple wire (10 gauge?).
Without energising the field coils the alternator will not output anything.
In fact - on my own set up -  the PO fitted a ‘smart-charger’ that feeds the field coils so my purple wire has been disconnected.
When you say your alternator was tested, do you mean whilst being turned by the engine, or when removed. If it was bench tested then the next step is to make sure that when the ignition is on, the filed coils are getting a voltage, and then when it is running, (mind fingers in belts) the alternator is producing a charge voltage.
If it is then the problem lies between the alternator and the batteries and at least you have helped isolate the issue.
Hope this helps

Graeme
#366, 1996
> On 25 Mar 2017, at 14:12, Ted Harrison <tharrison at innovations-plus.com> wrote:
>
> Just had the alternator tested and it is ok. Is there a fuse somewhere that would prevent the alternator from charging the batteries?
>
> 1997 hull 424
> Whitby
>
> Ted Harrison

I work irregular hours and often write emails late in the evening and at weekends; that doesn’t mean I expect you to do the same; reply when convenient!