[C320-list] Keel Bolts

Allan S. Field allan.field at verizon.net
Tue Mar 28 15:23:54 PDT 2017

   That is not something Gerry went into with me...

   On 03/28/17, Chris Burti<clburti at gmail.com> wrote:

   There is a different schedule for torquing dry threads and dressed
   threads- higher torque for dry. This might be the reason for multiple
   numbers - different answers for different questions.
   Best Regards,
   Chris Burti
   > On Mar 28, 2017, at 4:19 PM, Jeff Hare <[1]Catalina at thehares.com>
   wrote:

   > You might want to investigate the technique you'll use just a bit.
   You may not get an accurate torque on the keel nuts unless you are
   dealing with clean threads and a nut that turns freely against a clean
   surface. Be sure it isn't frozen by loosening the target nut first and
   inspecting the threads and giving the threads a shot of drylube or
   Moly-kote or other anti-galling grease before going for the actual
   torque value. Then move on to the next. You don't want to risk galling
   the threads, so some lubrication might be important. BUT I DON'T KNOW
   for sure.

   > These are my opinions, double check with someone who has a clue.
   ��
   > -Jeff Hare

   On Behalf Of Bryan Morton
   > Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 1:43 PM
   > To: [3]c320-list at lists.catalina320.com
   > Subject: [C320-list] Keel Bolts
   >
   > I had a follow up the keel bolt information from Allan Field from
   March 24th. I contacted Catalina directly on the Keel Bolt torque.
   Catalina told me the bolts should be torqued to 100 ft lbs. I was
   wondering where the 235 ft lbs number came from?

   > Best regards
   >
   > Bryan 1994#32
   >
   > "> Art - The Association, of which you are a member, has the torque
   > wrench (250 pounds), appropriately sized keel bolt socket (1.5-inch,
   > 6-point) and extension pieces available for loan through the toolbox
   > program. The boat needs to be on the hard with at least 75% of the
   > weight of the boat supported by the keel. The bolts get torqued to
   235
   > foot pounds. To access the program, log-on to the website and submit
   > request. You only pay the outbound and return shipping charges! -
   Allan