[C320-list] Adler Barbour Cold Machine Issue

Guy Smith smitski2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 31 11:36:15 PDT 2017

Hey Don!
I often throw a bag of Ice in the bottom of the refrigerator when my wife and I get down to Pleiades on a Friday night to help chill it down faster than the 12-volt refrigeration can. I put a selection of libations under the ice so we have cold ones quickly. The Ice generally lasts until Sunday, but that is with the 12-volt refrigeration kicked in right away. We use the ice in happy hour cocktails. :) I would guess that if you put in enough ice, it would last, or maybe hit a marina to top it off after a few days.The melt does drain into the bilge. I'm not sure how long frozen items would last in ice, but if you time it right, you could freeze some food at home that you would want in a few days and take some fresh foods for the first couple of days. You'll have to take care to wrap food appropriately so that it doesn't get soggy  from the ice melt.
I have been out on a friend's '86 Hunter 34 and Ice is the only refrigeration he has. Seemed to last quite a while for him too.
Just make sure to empty the box, towel it out as much as possible and keep the lids open to dry it out when you leave.
Fair winds on your trip!~g
Guy and Liz Smithsv Pleiades '97 C320 #452Worton Creek, MD, USA
On Friday, March 31, 2017, 10:13:24 AM EDT, Don Johnson <donjohn64 at att.net> wrote:So, my Cold Machine quit providing “cold”.  The fan & compressor are running, but no cold.  Probably freon or temp gage, but not enough time to have a tech check it out & we are taking the boat out for a few days. I currently plan to temporarily use the refer as an ice box for a couple of days. I know it has a drain & it seems like it would work OK as an ice box for a brief period.  Any experience out there, or known issues with using it this way?  Thanks much.

Don Johnson
1994/#53