[C320-list] Marelon seacock problem

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Sun May 14 17:40:51 PDT 2017

Scott,

That's a problem.  If I were you, I'd consider wrapping rescue tape around
that handle and make arrangements to get the plug inserted into the
thru-hull from outside so that you can replace the ball valve layer of the
thru-hull.  Be sure to attach a string to the loop on the plug so you can
remove it from deck without a second dive.

The reason is that if that handle screw is stripped such that it doesn't
hold the handle in place, the water pressure will pop the handle off,
tossing the o-ring and washers somewhere turning that drip into a
substantial leak.  I think it will be enough of a gusher that you won't be
able to get the screw, o-ring and washers back in place (assuming you could
even find them again) without the plug installed in the outside.

Don't let that go...

-Jeff Hare