[C320-list] Air conditioning

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Thu May 18 05:01:30 PDT 2017

Just to add a note... It seems Dometic is now selling the CruiseAir products under the Dometic brand. I'm told by an owner sourcing an AC that there is now a 14k BTU unit from Dometic.
We installed a 12k unit several years ago in the port locker with one vent in galley and return in aft cabin. It is more than enough cooling for us here on the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. The v-berth and aft cabin are cooled although will be slightly warmer than the salon.
Instead of doors, Pattie made a Sunbrella piece that attaches over the hatch cover and drapes over the companionway. It has a window and a metal rod sewn in the bottom to keep it from blowing in the wind. It's easy to enter/exit with the soft door in-place.
One suggestion, when installing, extend the thermometer into the living space rather than leave attached to the unit in the locker. The reason is that the locker will be hotter than the cooled space from the heat of the unit together with the heat of the Sun beating on the outside of the locker. This will make controlling the temp in the living space simpler.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay