[C320-list] Stuffing box issue

Doug Treff doug at treff.us
Thu May 25 10:51:40 PDT 2017

Daryl,

Did you launch and make that long trip before the boat had been in the
water 24 hours? After the hull has a chance to return to it's normal
shape, the alignment of the engine/shaft could change and your problem
may resolve itself. Give it a few days to rest and then see how it goes.
If it's still a problem, an alignment could be in your future.

A friend of mine who has a cradle for his 320 - he's not on this list -
had trouble last winter with the door on his head compartment not
closing properly. The yard mechanic refused to fix it for him until the
boat had been launched in the spring, with the reasoning that it may
resolve itself. It did - within 48 hours of launch, the door was working
perfectly again. If the hull can deform that much - to impact a door
closing - I have to imagine the shaft alignment could suffer as well.

I also notice a difference with my packing after being afloat for a few
days, because the long winter dries out the packing. After you relaunch,
it needs time to settle in.

--
Doug Treff
September Song #350