[C320-list] Boat insurance question

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Thu May 25 16:01:29 PDT 2017

I have insured with Erie Insurance for years. They handled our one and
only claim after a lightning strike promptly and professionally. We have
other policies with them and the pricing below may reflect that.

My policy insures the boat for replacement cost of the boat itself and
actual cash value of other property, up to $90,825 loss limit, with $500
deductible, $300,000 bodily injury / property damage liability coverage
per occurrence, and $5,000 medical coverage per person. (We carry a
separate personal liability policy so our total liability coverage is
greater.) There is no mention of named storms. The annual premium this
year is $560. This includes credits for diesel engine, depth finder,
ship to shore radio, and nav system. Also includes small premiums to
cover spars and sails if racing and for uninsured boater coverage.
Geographic coverage is all of continental US and Canada and "waters
along the coast of the United States." I can't find a definition of the
latter, but presumably the Chesapeake Bay, where we sail, is covered.
The policy says that our premium is based on a representation that the
boat is "principally used on inland waters."

My guess is that I could get a better price if I shopped around. But the
price advantage would probably be a drop in the bucket compared to
annual upkeep costs, and so I think my time is better spent on boat
maintenance! I consider boat insurance to be one of the lesser expenses
associated with ownership.

Scott Thompson