[C320-list] Stuffing box issue

danny jensen danny at jensenshouse.com
Fri May 26 10:57:39 PDT 2017

I've had the GFO for 3 years and had the boat yard install it. It got
really hot because the nut was too tight. It got so hot,  steam came off
the nut when i poured water on it! I backed off nut and it still never got
as cool as the old packing material. I could not hold my hand on it for a
long time and over time, it did get cooler. I have not noticed any bad
outcome from how hot I was running at the install.   I seem to remember
Jeff saying it GFO naturally runs warmer. I also tuned the nut to run
"dripless" as Jeff recommends. It took about 3 years to start dripping
after my initial nut adjustment and when it did start dripping it seemed to
drip more than standard packing.  After tightening, I am back to dripless
again!

Danny