[C320-list] priming the raw water system

David Nolte dcnolte at mac.com
Wed Nov 22 09:49:37 PST 2017

Hi Tom,

That is a great question. I never used to have that problem but the past several years I have. In fact, I am just getting back from doing that this morning on the boat.

I pour the anti-freeze into the strainer with a funnel. One thing I noticed is that the water line to the engine leaves the strainer near the top of the strainer, so if the fluid level in the strainer drops below that level it does not seem to draw/come out the exhaust. So then I top off the strainer. I also seem to have better luck getting the water/anti-freeze to draw again if I start the engine at a higher RPM. After a few starts I got it to flow just fine.

Maybe neither of those things has bearing on it and I just got lucky through persistence. I will be curious to see what the more technically minded have to say….

David Nolte
Beach House 0004