[C320-list] Mainsheet length

Troy Dunn troutwarrior at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 17:39:17 PDT 2017

Graeme

Before you short sheet yourself, a couple of items to consider.   I waited
until I was out on the boat this weekend because I wasn't entirely sure
about this hypothesis.   I'm still not 100% sure I have this right, but
here is my thinking.   On our boat, Hull 514,  the main sheet is rigged so
you can cleat it on both sides of the boat.   We always use the starboard
side but you could use the port side on our boat just the same with no
alterations to our setup.    We generally have what seems like a bunch of
sheet on the starboard side when sailing close hauled but...there is
significant mechanical purchase in the rigging.   I pushed the boom out as
far as it would go and came up with only 2 feet of remaining sheet on the
starboard side.   Barely enough to get it around the winch a couple of
times.  Assuming your hull is rigged similarly,  I suppose you could
shorten your sheet on the opposite side, but this would render that side
less than optimal for actual use, and would not alter the amount of sheet
you will need to stuff somewhere while sailing upwind, or at anchor on the
side you do use.

On the other hand, if your sheet isn't 'centered' you might have way too
much sheet on one side of the boat and not enough on the other.

All I could come up with, beyond the fact that I think the reccomended
sizes for all the lines seem to be about right assuming you have the
standard sails, mast, boom, and rigging that came with the 320.   If any of
these things were altered, well, your mileage will vary.

Cheers-

Troy
S/V Wonky Dog
Hull #514