[C320-list] How fast have you sailed

John Meyers jcmeyers7 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 17:05:02 PDT 2017

In Lake Michigan we can sometimes have up to 2 mph current which result
from strong winds from north or south along the shore and around points of
land where the water movement is accelerated for a few miles. These
currents can linger after the winds have died down or have shifted. I have
experienced and additional 2 mph of GPS speed over the water speed. Then,
on the return leg our GPS speed was 2 mph below the water speed.  I also
get consistent speed differentials going down stream and upstream in the
river that I use to get to Lake Michigan.

John Meyers