[C320-list] Roller furling system

Mark Cole boatnboot at q.com
Mon Sep 11 11:20:16 PDT 2017

Jerry;

When we bought Fiddler’s Green, the surveyor found excessive movement in the original Shaefer furler foil near the drum.  You could grab to foil section at the bottom and move it about 1/2”.  I called in a local rigger that happened to be the Shaefer rep and he said the lower bearings were shot, that they were no longer available but he could make some for about half the price of a new furler.  He even checked his shop for some saved from previous Shaefer replacements with no luck.   After checking around, we went with a new Hood 707 furler.  When the rigging crew started the install, they showed me where the furler foil had been chafing the forestay and one strand of the wire had pretty extensive wear.

So, add an new forestay, turnbuckle, compression eye and stemball fitting to the bill for me!  Total invoice was 2.8 boat units…  Just a little over $2,800.  Now the headsail rolls in and out so easy I can ask any guest onboard to do it.  The old stemball fitting that attaches the forestay to the masthead fitting was also slightly bent and showed signs of stress cracks, so I’m glad I went the route of a full replacement.

Mark
Fiddler’s Green, #8
Tacoma, Washington