[C320-list] Maxwell windlass

P.F. Ross pfrstl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 11:34:30 PDT 2018

Mine stopped recently as well, but after removing forward shelf and lower
panel I was able to trace the electrical fault to the foot switch.

Seems like someone else had posted about this switch earlier, but I found
that there were no "jam" nuts on the switch connection posts.  This meant
the force of the outer nuts bearing against the electrical ring connectors
was ultimately also bearing against the plastic bottom of the switch.  Of
course one of the connections became loose, heated up and melted the
plastic enough to change the contact geometry inside the switch, stopping
all contact.

The best price I could find on the Maxwell P19001 switch was from
foundy35.com which did not seem much like a nautical supply house but I
tried them anyway.  Quick free shipping and all worked well.  Also the new
switch did come with jam nuts (i.e., two nuts on each connector post).

Easy fix, hope yours easy as well!

Frank Ross
Beta Wave #206
Naples, FL