[C320-list] Prop Shaft

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 25 00:52:09 PDT 2018

We are just completing a shaft replacement at a cost of about $450, doing it ourselves using the Assn. tools. At times, it took two people. We have 2,000 hrs. on our 1994 hull #62. The cutlass had not been previously replaced.
As Chris points out, sand in the water could cause excessive wear in the cutlass. I think a poor shaft alignment could be a contributor. Maybe other reasons too.
Bronze is softer than SS, and is the reason we replaced the shaft. Over the years, the stuffing had worn a grove in the shaft that allowed too much water inflow when the engine was running. Not a burden for the bilge pump; but, the rotating shaft threw water in a circle under the aft cabin. I didn't like that.
If excessive flow at the stuffing box is not an issue, I suggest replacing only the cutlass bearing, getting a good alignment, and seeing how things go for the next 2-3 years, then decide.

Warren and Pattie Updike
1994 C320 "Warr de Mar" #62
Middle River, MD (Chesapeake Bay)