[C320-list] Forward part of the foot of the genoa rubbing on lifeline and rail

Mark Seyler mseyler at cox.net
Fri Aug 3 08:14:16 PDT 2018

I had to replace my genoa back in 2012.  I was able to buy a like-new 150% genoa with a slightly shorter luff, and used a short length of stainless chain to raise the tack above the base of the furler by about 6-8 inches.  It doesn't raise the foot of the sale all the way above the bow pulpit or lifelines, but it greatly reduces the amount of chafe.  (Almost none since 2012.)  Total cost for the chain was about $10.  I haven't noticed any meaningful decrease in speed (although I don't race on my boat either) or any increased heeling from the slightly raised center of effort.

Mark Seyler
S/V Reality, #232
New Orleans, LA