[C320-list] Dripless shaft???

Jeff Smith jeffreyssmith at live.com
Sun Aug 5 08:43:43 PDT 2018

To all. I am new to the list so be gentle with me today. I have borrowed the Association’s cutless bearing tool and I plan to change the bearing this week. A friend mentioned that I should also change my dripless bellows. A few quick questions:

1. Is it easy to pull the shaft out far enough to change the bellows? I read Jeff Hare’s supplement to the instructions, but I thought I would see if anyone here has done the procedure using the tool. Do I need to worry about shaft alignment when reconnecting? I have read the manual about the tight tolerances.
2. Does anyone know the shaft size and the stern tube diameter? I believe the shaft size is 1”, but I am not sure of the stern tube. I need these to order from PYI. I live 3.5 hours from my boat, so it is not as easy as driving down to the marina and measuring. I had hoped to order it and have it in hand before I get to the marina, but I guess I could have them overnight it to me at the yard.

I plan to do the bottom, change the cutless (and maybe the bellows), and service the folding prop, to maximize the fees for haul out.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Smith
S/V Sailmates
1994 Hull #121