[C320-list] Alternator question

Jack Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 6 17:02:40 PDT 2018

Hi Scott:

Whew. Lots of options.

One to think about is to buy a Sterling alternator-to-battery charger. It is
a four-stage smart charger that takes about two hours to install. It acts
very much like an external smart voltage regulator. It also allows you to
select among different types of batteries.

I had one on my old Bristol 30 for about three years, and I seriously
thought about taking it with me when I sold the boat. It will top off your
house bank in 2-2 1/2 hours of motoring from a 50 percent discharge, about
half the time that it will take the Hitachi alternator alone.

The Hitachi (which is no longer a Hitachi, by the way. Some faceless Chinese
company makes 'em.) is a car alternator, which means the no. 1 rule is not
to cook the battery. So you get 55 amps for a very short time, and much less
for most of the time.

A smart charger like Sterling will feed many more amps into your batteries
without cooking them. A potential problem with any smart charger or
regulator is that they could quicken the death of an aging alternator
because they make the alternator work a lot harder.

On the other hand, you can buy a new alternator on the web for around $100
or so. Not a big deal.

Jack Brennan
1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl.