[C320-list] Dinghy davit shopping results so far FWIW

Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 14 05:44:52 PDT 2018

We are close to purchasing new davits.  I thought I would let you all know what I learned (right or wrong) so far.

I am focusing on Martek and Kato.  I looked at Garhauer but the size they listed was shorter than I want/like.  Garhauer are about same price as Martek.  They may be able to custom make but...  Ocean Marine isn't open for business until much later in the season.  I was going to try searching for fabricators but I am just burned out on shopping and I wanted to benefit from the experience of the pros.
Locally many people praise Kato but, as far as I can tell, Kato is about $800+ more expensive for "basically" the same end results.  Also Kato arm tubing walls are .083" and Martek are .12" thick.  However, both are rated for same overall load (Design limits- not material??)??  Martek arms are also 5" higher and only 3" shorter.  Our dinghy isn't wide enough for 3" to be a factor.  Dinghy only weighs 100lbs and has 2.5hp OB.
It may boil down to customer service but $800 worth?  They do have Harken vs. Ronstan blocks but, again, $800 worth??
There are, like most everything else, pros and cons for each/any maker of anything.  Each one has something they claim to do better than the other.
I just wanted to try to provide some of what I have found so far.
Anybody else have anything to add?  Feel free to weigh in.  Very willing to learn.
Thanks,
Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net H (919)-362-8538    C (919)-618-7185