[C320-list] Glow Plugs & Keyswitch - Perkins Perama M30 Engine

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 15:25:16 PDT 2018

Apparently, modifications have been made to my boat by previous owner(s).  I may have had both the key switch and starter pushbutton originally, but now only have the 3 position key switch.  So, my glow plugs will only operate when I turn the key switch to "start" (thus, no pre-warming).
Warren Updike just privately recommended that I add a pushbutton in addition to my key switch, so that my glow plugs and starter will work as Mark describes.  He indicated I could simply add a pushbutton directly in the wire between the key switch (position #3) and the starter.
Lacking making this update, the only workaround to my current situation is the tip given by Warren, where I crank for about 5 seconds with the fuel shutoff knob pulled out to "pre-warm" with the glow plugs energized, then push the fuel knob in and hopefully start easily.
Dave Hupe
1994 Cat 320 "Mayan Sun" (#32)
Holland, MI