[C320-list] Glow Plugs & Keyswitch - Perkins Perama M30 Engine

Dave Hupe hoopdtwo at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 17:47:13 PDT 2018

It appears that I may be missing the starter pushbutton (a previous owner may have thought it was ok/easier to combine the glow plugs operation and starter activation on the #3 key switch position).  However, that prevents pre-warming with that setup, unless I use Warren Updike's trick of first cranking the starter for a while with the fuel knob pulled out (no fuel flow). Warren has suggested that I install/reestablish a starter pushbutton in the wiring between the key switch and the starter to correct this.
Several owners have suggested that I also look at the glow plug relay (a 1 inch square by about 2 inch long blue "box", located on the rear of the engine, that the wire to the glow plugs lead from). If this relay went bad, this could be the source of my almost instantaneous starting problem.
Thanks.
Dave Hupe
1994 Cat 320 "Mayan Sun"  (#32)
Holland, MI