[C320-list] Standing rigging

John Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 5 11:20:31 PST 2018

A Gentle reminder for those of you putting off new standing rigging on your aging 320. I just had my new-to-me 1998 320 rerigged. The standing rigging was original, but the boat had been lightly used, so I expected it be in decent shape.

Well, the backstay had EIGHT broken strands, and several of the shrouds were deteriorating as well. Oddly, the broken strands were not by the swages, but elsewhere in the wire.

Admittedly, this is in Florida, a little north of the subtropical zone, but fair warning. Losing a stay can bring down your rig. A couple of thousand dollars for new rigging is cheap insurance against a disaster.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalia 320, no. 528
Tierra Verde, Fl.
Dolphin Cruising Club of Florida