[C320-list] Thoughts on Raising Main was Thoughts on Sails

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Wed Dec 5 11:49:50 PST 2018

Here's what we do.

We have a mini bottle (4-5" tall) with dawn dish detergent diluted about 25% with water.  Before raising the main, when hooking on the halyard we give a good squirt of diluted soap into the track above the top slugs.

The sail flies up the track now and we only use the winch for final tensioning.  When it rains, it washes out of the track and any dirt with it.  Nothing left behind but the occasional bubble on deck during a heavy rain.

Since we already have dawn soap in our galley sink soap dispenser, it's easy to refill when it gets low.

-Jeff Hare
#809 Woodbine II