[C320-list] Interior varnish

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue Dec 18 09:30:44 PST 2018

Hi Rich,

The finish is Target Coatings, EM2000 water based sealer.  Super easy to work with.  You can get a small can of it from CatalinaDirect.com (or directly from Target Coatings).

My suggestion is to get a high quality 2" or 2.5" brush that's meant for water based finishes.  Stir really well so that you get an even satin finish. Do not shake, you don't want the foam/bubbles.  Same reason not to use a foam brush. Pour off a small quantity from the can through a paint strainer into a small plastic container with a lid and paint from that.  Don't dip into the can).

I always stir in a splash of water to the first very light coat or two.  It dries very fast so work quickly and go with *thin* coats WITH THE GRAIN.  Sand flat areas with a block and 400 grit paper between coats just a couple swipes so that the white powder.  Use tack cloth to wipe it down and then apply another coat.  Don't spend any time trying to smooth it out, just keep coats thin, just wetting the surface over several coats will build up a finish and they will level out as it dries.  You just don't want it to run.

Sounds like a lot of work, but you'll find that depending on the weather, you can do coats every hour and it'll only take a few minutes each time.  Keep stirring because the flattener will settle to the bottom.  Just seal the plastic container and add a little more from the can each time you need some.  Brush washes out super easy.

I suggest you apply 6 + coats.  It'll look fantastic.  Again, it sounds like a lot of work, but you'll see that it'll go fast and is really easy.  If you paint directly out of the can, you'll end up with debris in the can and you'll spoil it for the next time you want to use it.

That's my .02
-Jeff Hare