[C320-list] Anchor Rode and Filter Wrench

John Brennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 18 11:59:41 PST 2018

Hi Michael:

Half-inch nylon anchor line is fine for the 320, although it wouldn’t hurt to go a little larger. Not too large, though, because you want the line to stretch a bit for its shock-absorbing qualities. Too large of an anchor line is like being anchored on all chain.

I use 30 feet of chain, largely because I’m in Florida, where anchoring in 6-7 feet of water is not uncommon. I only need to put out 60 feet to get scope (maybe a little less in a crowded anchorage) so  the shorter chain allows me to have some line out for stretch.

Thirty to 50 feet of chain is enough of help the anchor set well. You would want more in, say, the Bahamas, where there are many coral heads. You definitely don’t want to do what powerboaters do and have six feet of coated chain and a Danforth anchor. That’s a recipe for dragging.

On my old Yanmar 2gm20, I could remove the lid on the secondary filter with my hand or a channel lock pliers if it got a little tight. It’s tucked in rather tight on the 320, though, so it’s hard to get purchase. I don’t remember how I got it off.

For the record, in the 10 years I’ve owned Yanmars, I’ve never seen one of those little filters dirty even in the slightest. I now change it about every three or four times I change the Racor.

Jack Brennan
Sonas, 1998 Catalina 320
Tierra Verde, Fl
Dolphin Cruising Club of Florida.