[C320-list] Anchor Rode and Filter Wrench

jackbrennan jackbrennan at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 22 17:00:32 PST 2018

Hi all:
On the other hand, around 2001, my family and I anchored our new to us C&C 25 in Biscayne Bay one night when a big cold front rolled through.
It had a big Danforth and eight feet of chain.
When we woke up, we were about a quarter mile into the Bay instead of near Sand Key.
The chain was not enough to force the anchor to dig in after it pulled loose. Admittwdly, it was a Danforth, a questionable anchor.
In my opinion, easy to pull up means easy to dislodge. A really good anchor will likely dig in again at some point soon, but more quickly with a lot of chain.
Just my two cents.
Jack BrennanSonas, 1998 Catalina 220 Tierra Verde, FlDolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 4:38 PM, Warren Updike<wupdike at hotmail.com> wrote:   Chris is right, if too much chain for typical anchorage you'll have the chain on-deck to secure rather than the rode. You can attach a line from the overboard chain to tie to a bow cleat. This can be a PIA should you have to adjust the rode, esp. in middle of night and/or in weather. The issue really is how much chain is necessary to create a proper catenary? I don't have a proper answer to that one; but, the original (smaller) anchor had only 8' and was not a problem.

In a related matter, the windlass should not be used to break-out an anchor. I'm told it's not designed for that load. I will use the windlass to pull up to the anchor, then pull up the slack by hand as much as possible and secure on bow cleat. Be patient and let the waves stress the line. As the line slacks, remove slack and re-cleat. The anchor will gradually break out, then use the windlass. Even in a calm, this will usually work. This offered from the Chesapeake Bay were 99% of anchorages are in mud, soft and hard.

Warren & Pattie Updike
C320 1994 #62 “Warr de Mar”
Middle River, MD (Chesapeake Bay)