[C320-list] Anchor Rode and Filter Wrench

Larry Frank WindSwept at stx.rr.com
Mon Dec 24 04:59:57 PST 2018

Since my question was directed to Warren I will answer his email.

However I find it a universal truth that if you you want to start a heated
debate over something at the yacht club bar just bring up your views on
the right way to anchor or the best anchor, etc.  I know we have all been
there.

To Warren, I see your point.  I never would have thought of that.  We have
30¡¯ of chain but hardly ever anchor in more that 8-9 feet of water.
Interestingly we never use the windlass so what you bring up is not
something I would take into consideration.  Instead the first mate or
other crew will motor up to the anchor location while I keep tension on
the rode from the bow.  This keeps the boat pointed in the direction of
the anchor.  If we start going too fast I will have the helmsman go to
neutral while I get caught up at the bow.  Hand signals work wonderful for
this.  When we get to the chain I just keep pulling until we are over the
anchor.  At this point it does get a little tricky.  I bring the chain
around the outside of the starboard bow cleat and turn it forward under
the aft horn.  I then use my foot (shoe on) to trap it in position.  If
needed the helmsman can then motor forward to break out the anchor.
Normally very little motoring is required as the chain will be very near
vertical at this point.

My opinion is that a larger anchor and longer heavier chain will always
take precedence over convenience or ease of retrieving the anchor when
anchoring overnight.  I second the idea of using a weight (aka sentinel)
on the rode to increase the anchor¡¯s holding power and likelihood of
breaking out in the event of gusty winds or wave action.  I have a product
called a "rode roller" for this purpose. It was from Ada Leisure Products
but I could not find it online now.  I have had it for 25-30 years now.
It is a heavy brass or bronze weight with a build in sheave wheel and loop
to tie a line on.  Works great.

My better half seems to think there is a problem with writing web messages
about boating Christmas Eve so I gotta go.

Merry Christmas to all.

Larry
WindSwept
Catalina 320 #246