[C320-list] Foresail

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Sat Jan 13 08:08:06 PST 2018

On the size decision, a lot depends on how you use your boat. If you
mostly day sail and don't care about getting anywhere, and if conditions
tend to be light, then a 150 is a fine choice. In my case, when we sail
we are usually trying to go somewhere, and if the wind is really light
we motor instead. For that reason I went just a bit smaller (145) which
gives me a bit more high end range before I need to start furling the
sail. This gives better performance when the wind is up, which is when
it is most fun to sail in my view.

Racing brings in completely different considerations. Generally, you
will lose performance whenever you sail with a partially rolled up sail
compared to using a smaller sail in the first place. I haven't raced
boats with masthead genoas in years, but when I did we had the light #1,
heavy #1, #2, #3, #4 and spent a lot of time dealing with sail changes.
More recently I've raced on one designs with fractional rigs and smaller
jibs and we never sailed with a partially furled sail, depowering
instead by bending the mast to flatten the main, followed by feathering
the main, followed by reefing if the wind is really up.

BTW, if you still have the OEM sails from 1997 you will be AMAZED at how
differently the boat sails with a new jib, especially if you upgrade to
a tape drive or similar.

Scott
Surprise, #653, 1999