[C320-list] Foresail

Amirault Family amiraults at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 15 14:45:24 PST 2018

Ted:

Is radial cut worth the money? Not to everyone. You can picture that there
is waaaay more stitching in a radial cut sail over the slab version because
so many more pieces of cloth are necessary to make up the sail. Over time
UV, general wear, and perhaps some minor failure in the original work will
result in a need to take your sail to its maker for repair. If you allow
that this failure has a time/running-stitch-length ratio, then you are very
likely to see your maker more often for some re-stitching if you opt for
radial cut. This would make it more expensive to buy and to own.

I am so in favour of the small performance increase in my radial cut 135
that when I replaced the original closed-foot, slab main I did so with a
loose-foot radial cut sail, because these will give me better shape for
longer. If I were only cruising and cared not for any performance
enhancement, then no, as you will still experience enhanced performance when
you replace your original headsail with a new slab cut model. There is
always something else to spend the money on which will contribute to a
better on-water experience; such as Sport-a-seats, or inflatable life vests,
or superior optics binoculars, or Blue Performance cockpit gear bags - the
list is long.

Just my .05$

Brian Amirault

797 Waltzing Bear, too