[C320-list] Foresail

Amirault Family amiraults at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 16 14:08:31 PST 2018

Ted:

My limited experience with foam is YES. The furl on the additional 135 is
much smoother than the original 150. A warning; I am uncertain you can trust
my experience, as I am comparing the original sail that came to me just as
used as the boat, with a new one. I cannot say how much the improvement is
merely the difference between the partial roll of a tired and bagged sail
against rolling a new stiff one.

I do wonder if your vendor has discussed with you any other options for the
sail. A window at the telltales so you can more readily see both sides. A
draft stripe (a dark line going across the sail fore and aft part way up so
you can better judge the shape and make adjustments to the draft easier to
see. A high angle for the foot for better forward vision from the helm. A
second set of telltales farther aft on the sail so you will still have this
aid to efficiency when the forward set are rolled into a partial furl. You
might want to look into tape telltales rather than yarn, as my yarn ones
frequently seem to pick up a static charge and actually adhere to the sail
making them temporarily useless.

Brian Amirault

797 Waltzing Bear, too