[C320-list] Foresail

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Wed Jan 17 02:25:30 PST 2018

Just to add my sixpence worth!

I had a new genoa last year, and went for 135% as I rarely have issues with very light winds, but often have to reef in stronger ones!

As Brian says, the foam strip makes for a better shaped ‘roll’ when the sail is partially furled and that helps the shape of the unfurled portion.

I had the sail cut so the tack is approximately the height of the pulpit rail. A webbing strop is used to connect the distance between the tack and the furling drum attachment point, with lashings to transmit the lateral load to the furler. I wasnt sure how well this would work, but my sailmaker assurd me he had done this  for many other boats and he was correct. There is no problem furling and the increased visibility under the foot is fantastic -  you can sit in the cockpit and have full forward vision.  Best of all you dont get that annoying ‘break’ in the foot of the sail where it folds (and chafes) over the guard wires!

I also went for a bi-radial cut. This is basically slap cut from the head of the sail to about half way down then a radial pattern in the lower half. On the advice of my sailmaker this gives a better shape when furled but is a good compromise between cost and performance.

I got a good deal by giving them the job in mid summer when they were quiet. During winter you pay full price!

Hope this helps

Graeme
England