[C320-list] Solar panels and shading

Graeme Clark cg at skyflyer.co.uk
Mon Jan 29 02:22:14 PST 2018

I’m about to buy a solar panel to mount on the hatch garage cover, forward of the traveller. ( I don't have a bimini nor an arch so no other choice really).

I think it has to be the flexible type as I have noticed that occasionally the mainsheet block can drop forward onto this space, if the mainsheet goes slack, and I suspect that would soon crack a ‘hard’ panel.

At first glance the ‘garage’ has a large area but of course the forward corners of it are encroached by the halyards and other control lines and the rear by the traveller control lines.

I have read that even a small amount of shading can hugely reduce the amount of power from  panel - in other words 10% shading will give a 50-60% reduction in power, not a 10% reduction in power.

So I am considering a smaller panel that is completely unobstructed.

BUT someone else has said that the flexible panels are more tolerant to the shading problem, more like a 10% shading giving  a 20% reduction in power.

I’m confused -  do i go for the biggest panel I can fit or the biggest I can fit into an unshaded area?

Lots of conflicting advice about this on the internet, so i thought I’d ask if anyone on the list has this particular configuration and if so what your experience has been

Thanks

Graeme

#366, 1996, England