[C320-list] Solar panels and shading

Pat Tormey ptormey at 4Square.net
Mon Jan 29 14:41:06 PST 2018

Since most Panels have reverse polarity protection you don’t want to put them in series, you can simply parallel them (in theory)

Pat

Pat Tormey PE
Microsoft MVP <https://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/PublicProfile/4025688?fullName=Pat%20Tormey>

603.437.5726

From: sail-ability sail-ability [mailto:sail-ability at sympatico.ca]
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 4:47 PM
To: ptormey <ptormey at 4square.net>; c320-list <c320-list at catalina320.com>
Subject: Re: [C320-list] Solar panels and shading

I have a single 180W panel on the davits on Luffin Life. Never had a shading issue due to location of the panel. I have learned however that if you have two panels hooked in series that the shading issue is mitigated somewhat. There's a guy in Mississauga ON (S.A.W. Technologies) who sells semiflex 100W panels which weigh in at 4lb. The issue is that you need a controller which will handle 24V; my Blue Sky controller will do that. I'm thinking of an upgrade as my single solid panel weighs in at 40lb and difficult to handle. I think those panels come in at 280 CAD each.

Cheers

JohnM