[C320-list] Voltage Regulators- New thread away from batteries

Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 13 04:23:50 PDT 2018

Wow.  You all are not making this easy.  Lots to consider.  Good stuff.
Before you read this I am sorry for the long post.  Head is swimming....
Here is where I am at (If I'm not lost...):
Concerns:1. SOC.  I currently have no accurate way to know the real SOC.  The Xantex charger (when connected to shore power) has some lamp indications but nothing specific.  The existing analog battery test rocker switch is fair but not very accurate.  I would like to know just how "filled" each battery is.  Nothing to the nano-amp/voltage level but reliable enough to sleep good at night.  Especially after hauling anchor and motoring for only a couple of hours.   Am I not refilling the batteries if I anchor 3-4 days in a row with only 3-4 hours motoring each day?  That kind of thing. NOTE: If/when I retire in another year we plan to take a portable generator to top things off etc...  Still need to know SOC though.

2. Current draw.  This is a personal thing but I like the idea of knowing the real time current draw.  Saw this on a friends boat.  You can shut off all but any single device and know its actual current draw and easily calculate the duration you can safely run that particular device.  (Example) Add devices together and you have a rough idea of what running anchor lights and the radio all night. etc... would be on the batteries.  Also if any device jumps in load then something could be going bad with that device or connections.  This is a very nice to have (to me).
I am "leaning" towards AGMs. Not completely sold yet but our current LAs always have some liquid on the tops of the batteries.  We don't sail level all the time.  We heel.  I like the no mess, no maint part.  I also think they may last longer but that appears to be related (like both types) to the care you give them.  I also hear that they can take discharges better?  Given the second battery is the same age as the one that just died... makes me think its life is short as well??  Now is the time.
Assuming our current Xantrex charger will support AGMs....Then my concern is 3 things:
1. Alternator. Is the existing one enough but may just need to run longer to replenish?  I am assuming it will eventually recharge the AGMs but what is the run time needed?  I know there is a formula but not sure I have time to do the testing/math....What is cost of increasing the Alternator (Yanmar 3GM30F)? Can't be that much???  If cost is high enough I will do the math.
2. Regulator. Cost and what is impact to battery life?  Worth it?  So far it sounds like yes.  If so, then which one?  Depends on the Alternator?  We hope to add solar later.  Make a difference to the decision now or would adding  solar mean another regulator for that?  Have not done deep dive into solar yet.  Farther down the road.
3. Monitor. If I do all this or not... I want to know the condition of each  battery. Period. When I wake up in the morning (at anchor) how drained are the batteries?  If I motor for 5 hours, are they replenished?  Can I anchor for 3 days straight and not damage the batteries (with our usage)?  Right now I can't reliably/easily tell.   I want a monitor that tells me real time amp draw and SOC/Volts at a minimum.  I read enough to know SOC is a guess at best of times.  Voltage might be enough??  Ideally I want a single monitor "display" that will monitor all batteries.  Not having to install a gauge/hole per battery in the power panel. EmonII Ample Power is in the running, but might be overkill??  Victron BMV-712 Smart is also in the running but appears I will need one per battery so, 2 holes in panel?? I know there are other single displays for multiple Batteries out there.  Still digging.

I am willing/likely to replace both batteries with AGMs. Likely add a monitor. Maybe add a good regulator (if extends battery life or have good enough reason). Maybe replace the alternator to reduce engine run time to recharge (Less critical since we could just get generator sooner- cost will decide).  I don't "want to" have to replace the shore power charger.
Sorry for the long note.
I just need a list of monitors to read up on and list of regulators (if needed).  Then the price/size of an alternator.
For now....

Thanks,
Scott Westwood scottwestwood at bellsouth.net H (919)-362-8538    C (919)-618-7185