[C320-list] Alternator change

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Jul 16 11:34:24 PDT 2018

Hi,

The AmpTech 125se (Dual Foot) is what we use.  We upgraded the Belt, not the pulleys.  The stock belt is too short I think and light duty.  We only use Gates Green Stripe belts which you can get at some auto parts stores because it's a fairly high end belt and really strong.  Never had an issue with them on the stock engine pulleys.  We do replace the belt every other year and cycle the old one out as a spare because they're such an inexpensive part.

The MaxCharge handles it and hooks up to it just fine.  In fact, I don't recall needing to make any settings changes beyond setting it to AGM mode.

It's actually not a super complicated project but if you over-think it, you could end up making it really complex and complexity and reliability aren't very good friends on a boat.

Our current wiring schematic for alternator / starting battery is pretty simple.  I'll find it and make it available.

-Jeff Hare