[C320-list] Dedicate one water tank to flushing toilet

Scott Thompson surprise at thompson87.com
Mon Jun 4 09:22:14 PDT 2018

In my experience the smell isn't from flushing with bay water but rather
from letting bay water sit in the toilet and plumbing for extended
periods. The micro-organisms in the bay water die and decompose
producing the smell. You can avoid this by (a) flushing the toilet
frequently and (b) flushing with fresh water whenever leaving the boat
for overnight or longer. It also helps somewhat to flush the holding
tank with fresh water after a pump out at the end of a trip. With this
protocol our boat is sweet smelling even while using bay water to flush
most of the time.

Regarding the original post: It makes no sense to me that you would need
a new electric pump when switching water sources. I would ignore the
advice from the marina unless they can say why a toilet that does not
currently need a separate pump would start needing one when flushed with
fresh water.

Scott