[C320-list] Schaeffer 2100 furling

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Thu Jun 14 08:51:48 PDT 2018

Hi,

I always spray lots of PTFE fluid into the top bearings and the sail luff and as far up the track as I can reach before I hoist the genoa in the spring.
Helps a lot.  If you're in a dry climate, you should drop the sail a few times a year and run fresh water through the top bearing, let it dry and respray with PTFE spray.

Shaeffer says to flush the lower bearings out with fresh water frequently.  Newer furlers have a hole where you can run water in to flush them out.  They'll sell you a retrofit for the Older ones but I wonder if you couldn't just drill the hole yourself if you knew where and how large?

I've sailed on a boat where the furler was so bound up due to dirt and salt that they always used the winch to pull out the head sail.  Ick.  Never.

-Jeff Hare
2001 #809 Woodbine II