[C320-list] Leaking impeller pump

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Thu Jun 14 08:57:52 PDT 2018

As others have mentioned, a rebuild is in order.  But, you'll likely also have wear/scoring of the back plate and the forward surface inside the housing as well from grit in the water.  So the rebuild will likely stop leaking if you replace the shaft and seal, but it won't pump as much water as a new pump that doesn't have this wear.

We purchased a new pump for $180 that primes instantly and pumps water like a firehose compared to the old one (which I had installed the pump rebuild kit). So, if you ever have any issues priming after clearing the strainer, don't bother with a rebuild, get a new one for just a few bucks more.

My opinions of course...
-Jeff Hare
2001 #809 Woodbine II