[C320-list] Air Conditioning on C 320

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Mon Jun 18 09:27:20 PDT 2018

Gene,
Regarding pics of my  16K AC/Heat installation, I will look in my files and
see what I can come up and send what I find to you. I have forwarded those
photos to owners in the past, but I do not think they were ever posted on
the website.

Here are four items to consider that you can further consider or research
from the 320  discussion list that I addressed in my installation:. 1)
placement of the AC water intake thru hull with shutoff valve adjacent to
the engine intake  where the hull is very thick such that the AC intake is
on the starboard side of the prop shaft and placement of the AC strainer and
AC water pump are  low enough yet rise  aft of the thru hull  water entry
edge to avoid air-locks in the water line going to the AC unit;  2)
consideration of placing a grill in the aft cabin door lower area so air can
return when the door is closed; 3)  creating a narrow but sealed plenum for
the recirculated air from the aft cabin intake grill aligned to the AC
cooling radiator so that air is being drawn into the AC from the cooler aft
cabin rather than from the warmer and dirty locker resulting in less
condensation, cleaner air and more efficient super cooled air exiting the
grill above the breadbox; and 4) consideration of going with a gravity feed
condensate drain leading to the transom alongside the propane locker water
drain. This is an alternative to the venture negative pressure  system that
could malfunction. The gravity drain can be protected /secured  in heavy
seas sailing by installing a valve in the port locker in the drain line that
goes to a transom thru hull. I installed a simple pump to  dry out the
condensate tray with an inexpensive rubber squeeze ball with a one way valve
attached to some clear tubing secured to the bottom of the AC condensate
tray with zip ties.

I learned it was best to mount the AC unit on a 1.5 to 2 inch board  to
ensure that the height of the AC unit was sufficient to permit condensate
water to always weep out of the transom while dockside with my dinghy  on
the foredeck.  Having the AC unit installed on the thick board to provide a
greater fall line did not reduce the area for air to find its way to the AC
unit from the aft cabin because of the  short plenum between the grill and
the AC radiator/heat/cooling exchanger. As it turned out I created a shelf
above the AC unit secured between the port locker shelf wooden separator and
the portside liner to recapture  a significant amount of storage area. I
also placed  a plastic crate between the AC unit and under the breadbox that
I can reach for small items that may be occasionally  used (need to install
the plastic create before permanently securing the ac AC unit in the port
locker). Then,, just aft of the AC unit I recaptured storage space with a
square bucket that sits atop of small 2x4 pieces that protect the AC water
exit thru hull and the condensate gravity line with the shut off valve
leading to the transom. The square bucket fits snuggly between the aft
locker wall and the shelf above the AC unit.

Hope you find what I learned to help you consider some additional decision
points. You are making the right choice going with the larger size 16K unit
vs the smaller capacity ac unit. We have a couple of  42 lb. Yamaha 2000IE
generators to power the AC/Heat  and all of the other electrical items while
on the hook. The generators store  nicely in the starboard aft  locker and
balance out the weight of the AC unit in the port locker.

Rick Sulewski
My-Ria
95"320 hull 277